CARE AND HANDLING OF IPIK DOORS
Face veneer will vary in color and in grain characteristics within the specie and cut specified.
When doors are stained or clear-finished, any color and grain variations that existed prior to
finishing will show, after finishing. These variations in color, tone and grain should be expected.
Door finish requires periodic maintenance. Doors may require refinishing from time to time
depending on use and location.
IPIK cannot warrant the appearance of field-finished doors.
Doors are not ready for finishing until properly field prepared.
Field preparation must include block sanding with fine grit sandpaper. Door faces have been thoroughly sanded at the factory, however, subsequent handling marks and raised grain (caused by storage and exposure) must be removed by a thorough block sanding. Sanding and finishing must be done when door is in a horizontal position.
DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL.
1. Insufficient field sanding can cause stain to absorb unevenly making areas appear darker or lighter. A wash coat (1/2 sealer and 1/2 thinner) applied prior to staining will minimize this shade contrast and reduce the dark/light striping effect commonly seen in sliced woods. Faces should be carefully inspected while staining to determine if any color or shade variations require corrective action. Make necessary corrections prior to the application of finish coats. Doors should be stained while horizontal on special horses.
2. At least two coats finish must be applied to all faces, edges, tops and bottoms. Follow finish manufacturer's instructions for proper application and use of finish stains, paints, and varnish.
3. A dark blue or black stain may appear in wood (usually oak). This stain is not a defect but a natural chemical reaction caused by tannic acid in the wood and moisture in the air. This stain can be removed by treating the wood with an oxalic acid solution prior to sealing and finishing. See IPIK Bulletin NO. 583 for more complete description.
4. Do not use high gloss finishes.
5. Do not use dark colors on exterior doors.
1. Factory finished doors should be wiped with "Guardsman Furniture Polish" when installed to remove light abrasion marks and to clean door surfaces.
2. Do not use any polish which contains silicone.
3. If factory-finished doors are cut in field, edges must be field-sealed.
IPIK DOOR COMPANY
1. The core of the door must be kept dry under all conditions. Any field cuts must receive two coats of exterior sealer. After finishing, a bead of clear silicone sealant should be run between the door and the lip moulding, and between the moulding and the glass.
2. Aluminum caps supplied by IPIK must be installed on the tops of exterior doors that swing out.
802 SHORT ST., BLDG. K
KENNER, LA 70063
504-469-3666 fax 504-467-3666
www.ipikdoor.com Previous Page